Mark D Elmore Center – Lenexa, KS 66219 US (Primary)
A career with Johnson County Government is more than just a job, it is an opportunity to serve a diverse and expanding community in meaningful ways. We challenge ourselves to be a different kind of government because we care deeply about our community and each other. Committed to our shared values, we provide excellent public service, seeking always to improve ourselves and our organization. We offer wonderful benefits, retirement plans, wellness incentives, a great organizational culture, and much more! If you’re searching for something more than just a job, something akin to a calling, then consider the challenge and opportunity of being a member of Johnson County Government!
Johnson County Developmental Supports (JCDS) is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Community Relations Manager. JCDS serves people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We focus on individuals’ abilities, provide choice driven supports, and advocate alongside people to live and work in our community. We aspire to build a community that promotes, supports, and embraces people of all abilities. The Community Relations Manager is responsible for developing communication and relationship-building strategies to promote the work of JCDS, as well as the coordination of internal and external communication about our services. First review of applications will be Monday, November 7, 2022. Responsibilities include:
- Leads the development of a High Performing Organization through active demonstration of the county’s Pillars of Performance, encouraging leadership and empowerment at all levels of the organization; dedicates QII activities for self and staff; actively mentors, coaches and collaborates with employees to enhance the county mission and vision keeping in mind the common goal of leaving our community better than we found it.
- External community relations, communications, and public information; maintain a schedule for Public Relations (PR) activities to include professional PR groups, InterHab Governmental Affairs/InterHab Marketing Task Force Committees, Local Chambers of Commerce, state-wide workgroups/task forces/ad hoc committees, local media, and other Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD) agencies for special events and promotions; serve as JCDS’s public relations liaison at Friends of JCDS Board of Directors meetings; represent JCDS in the community through speaking engagements and other community involvement; assist with planning and participate in fundraising and other special events.
- Organize and/or participate in local, state and national education and advocacy efforts on behalf of JCDS and Johnson County Government for people with IDD and their families: provide strategic consultation to the Executive Director and the JCDS Senior Management Team on advocacy issues, legislative activities and community affairs; establish and maintain relationships with legislators and lobbyists; conduct environmental scans to determine the needs of the agency and the needs of the IDD population.
- Serve as the Public Information Officer for JCDS: serve as the point of contact for PR/media inquiries, generating press releases, and cultivating relationships with media contacts; develop and maintain relationships and with the Johnson County business and service community; create content and information for the JCDS website and social media; coordinate community speaking engagements, tours, and staff involvement in Chambers of Commerce events; efficiently and effectively communicate internal messages via various types of communication media; provide public relations/communications training to staff; support the CDDO to develop and coordinate community network activities and information dissemination.
- Responsible for direct oversight and guidance to 2.0 Communications Specialists providing internal and external communication content; create, update, and maintain operating procedures for department workflows; evaluate performance and provide feedback and coaching to staff; resolve employee relations issues; delegate assignments and ensure involvement in agency groups and activities; review and manage communications outputs to ensure appropriateness, effectiveness and accuracy
A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, public relations, business administration, or related field is required. Four years of experience with performing the communications function for an organization is also required. Experience and education may substitute for one another.
A master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, public relations, business administration, or related field is preferred. Two years of leading, directing, supervising, or coordinating the work of others is preferred. One year working for a public sector or non-profit organization, specifically with relation to serving individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities is also preferred.
Candidate must be able to successfully complete criminal and motor vehicle background screenings, which includes KDADS required screenings and registry checks.
Management, Administrative, Technology, and Financial Services
Apply here: https://jocogov.hua.hrsmart.com/hrsmart/ats/Posting/view/6086